Saturday, June 11, 2011

Cajun Chicken Stroganoff

A simple and quite frankly a flavorful dish without heat.  When I hear the word "cajun" all too often the sensory of heat comes to mind.  While this recipe does have cayenne to it, it doesn't have the heat associated to it.

For once I, not only followed the recipe, but I wouldn't change a thing about it. Try it! You'll love it. This recipe will make it to next year's cookbook and will be in the "Jenn's Favorite's" rotation. That's HOW good it is. Oh wait, I did change it slightly.  I chose linguissa sausage instead of kielbasa.  I LOVE linguissa sausage and so an opportunity to impart it's flavor into a Cajun dish, I couldn't resist. I think I made the right choice.

I'd venture a guess that it's not necessarily low cal thanks to the sausage. The sausage gives such a distinct flavor that it really shouldn't be omitted. You can, however, use low cal sour cream. I did and you really can't tell.

Cajun Chicken Stroganoff
Recipe from Cuisine at Home Weeknight Menus Volume 2
Makes 6 cups of stroganoff & noodles


  • 1 package dry wide egg noodles
  • 1/2 lb kielbasa, sliced (I used a linguissa sausage and used the whole pound)
  • 1/2 lb button mushrooms, quartered
  • 1 1/2 lb chicken tenders
  • 1/2 tsp EACH: cayenne, paprika, black pepper, kosher salt, dry basil leaves, dried thyme leaves and dried oregano leaves
  • 2 T flour
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 2 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • sliced scallions for garnish

Cook the noodles according to package directions.

Sauté kielbasa and mushrooms in 2T olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until browned, 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.

Combine chicken with seasonings, toss to coat, then dust with flour.  Sauté chicken in same sauté pan in 2T oil (or use reserved oil given off by the linguissa sausage if you used it) over medium-high heat until nearly cooked.  Push chicken to one side of pan.  Ad tomato paste and garlic; sauté for 1 minute.

Deglaze the pan with sherry, simmer until nearly evaporated, then add broth, Worcestershire, and reserved kielbasa-mushroom mixture. Bring to a simmer and reduce by half, about 5 minutes..

Off heat, stir in sour cream. Serve stroganoff over prepared egg noodles and garnish with green onions.

You will not be disappointed. And I promise you, the cayenne pepper does not produce any serious heat.

No comments: