Friday, June 10, 2011

Panaeng Beef in Red Curry Peanut Sauce

I'm sure I've mentioned before I'm a big fan of red curry.  Such a nice subtle flavor without the danger of having your lips burned off by the heat. Although the heat is present, it doesn't have to hurt.

This particular recipe was just okay.  If I did it again I'd make some adjustments. I've put notes below where I would make changes.

Panaeng Beef in Red Curry Peanut Sauce
Serves 4-6

  • 1 c unsweetened coconut milk ( I had light coconut milk in the pantry so that's what I used)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 lb boneless beef (like flank steak), thinly sliced crosswise into 2 inch strips
  • 2 T panaeng curry paste or red curry paste (I used red curry paste)
  • 2 T fish sauce
  • 2 T palm sugar or brown sugar (I used brown sugar)
  • 3 T ground or finely chopped peanuts or peanut butter
  • 3 wild lime leaves, torn or cut in quarters or fine threads (optional) (Jenn Note: I have no idea what these are or where to get them.  I like the lime flavor with my curry so I just spritz a lime wedge over my dish after I served it up)
  • A handful of Thai basil leaves

In a medium sauce pan, stir together 1/2 cup coconut milk and the water. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.  Sprinkle in the sliced beef, stirring to keep the pieces from sticking together, and simmer 5 minutes, until meat is tender.

Remove the meat from the pan and set aside.

With the milk/water mixture still in the pan, return it to a gentle boil.  Stir in the curry paste and cook to dissolve, 3-4 minutes. The mixture should be fragrant and smooth. Return the beef and any juices to the pan, add the remaining coconut milk and bring back to a gentle boil.  Add the fish sauce, sugar, peanuts and lime leaves, if using.  Stir well and simmer 3 - 4 minutes more, until the sauce is smooth.  Stir in basil leaves and remove from heat.

I served this over a bowl of jasmine rice.

No comments: