Sunday, May 22, 2011

Shrimp Rangoon

Often when the BFF and I go to Chinese restaurants we'll order Crab Rangoon.  A delightful combination of crab, cream cheese, and some other things...all put in a wonton wrapper and deep fried.  Delicious! 

Recently on Tasty Kitchen I encountered a Shrimp Rangoon recipe. I'm way more a shrimp fan than I am crab, so I knew I had to try it.  Last night I treated some guests to this appetizer and the general consensus was it was quite good.

Heads up though, this makes a TON of filling. I only made 20 for appetizers and have easily more than half left. The recipe on Tasty Kitchen has a dipping sauce to it. I choose to just use sweet chili sauce which was perfectly good.

Shrimp Rangoon
Recipe from The Tasty Kitchen

FOR THE RANGOON:
  • 8 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, softened
  • 2 T cilantro, chopped
  • 2 T green onions, minced
  • 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp fresh lime juice
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • 1 pound shrimp, par-cooked
  • ½ cups water chestnut, chopped
  • 1 egg white for wash - I didn't use an egg wash, I just used water to seal the wrappers with.
  • 50 pieces wonton wrappers
  • 1 quart Oil, for frying

Put softened cream cheese, cilantro, green onions, ginger, sugar, lime juice, salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse 3 to 4 times until just combined.  Transfer to a bowl and stir in shrimp and water chestnuts.

Using a pastry brush or a finger tip, put egg white on the edge of the wonton skin. Place one heaping teaspoon of shrimp mixture in the center of each wrapper, fold in half, pressing to seal the edges well.

Transfer to a wire rack and repeat with remaining wrappers and shrimp mixture.

Preheat oil in a heavy duty frying pan over medium-high heat until the thermometer reaches between 350 degrees F to 375 degrees F.

Fry rangoon in batches, 6 or 7 at a time, turning over a few times until both sides are crispy golden brown.

Drain rangoon on a wire rack. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.

No comments: