Thursday, May 19, 2011

Quicker Boston Baked Beans

Last Sunday was Sunday Dinner. I decided to ring in the summer season by having a BBQ.  I made burgers and guests brought misc items. 

I decided I wanted to make a go at making Boston Baked Beans. I found this recipe in Cook's Country and decided I might as well try it.  I was pleasantly surprised at how flavorful this was. Beats canned beans by a mile in flavor and texture. Super easy, but does require some planning as it takes 2 hours to bake the beans.  I made the beans on Saturday and finished them off in the oven on Sunday.  They were the bomb!

Quicker Boston Baked Beans
Serves 4-6
Though I gotta say, I was feeding 9 people and we had some left overs.  If you aren't going to have a bunch of other items, then maybe the 4-6 servings is accurate.

  • 1 pound dried navy beans, picked over and rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 6 ounces salt pork, rind removed and cut into 1/4" pieces
  • 1 onion, chopped fine
  • 3 cups water
  • 5 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 T molasses
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
  • salt and pepper
 
Adjust oven rack to middle, preheat oven to 350F.

Bring 3 quarts of water, beans and baking soda to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer briskly for 20 minutes. Drain beans in a colander. Rinse beans and pot.

In clean pot, cook salt pork over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

Stir in water, beans, sugar, 1/4 c molasses, Worcestershire, 3 tsp mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.

Remove cover and cook for another 30 minutes and beans are completely tender. Stir in remaining 1 T molasses and 1 tsp of mustard.

No comments: