Sunday, October 31, 2010

Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup

Have I mentioned that in my next life I want to be married to Tyler Florence? He's such a doll and I love his recipes. 

Tonight it was chilly outside and I was cold. I decided I needed to make a chicken tortilla soup of some sort.  I took one from Tyler's book called "Eat This Book." Super easy and simple. I made a few adjustments for my own taste, and I was cleaning out the pantry, so here's my version.

Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves: 2

  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 jalapeno, diced (remove the ribs and seeds if you don't want the heat)
  • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 chicken breast (this would be a great recipe for left over chicken.  Just shred the chicken and add it in.)
  • 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1T chili powder
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 T chopped cilantro
  • 1T lime juice
Put some oil in a pot. Sauté the onion, garlic, and jalapeno for 2 minutes...don't burn them so do it over medium heat.

Add your tomatoes. Stir.  Add your chicken broth, chicken, potatoes.

Season with Salt and pepper to taste.  Put in 1T chili powder.  Bring to a boil and cook until chicken and potatoes are done. (about 15 minutes).  Adjust with chili powder to your own liking.

I put chopped cilantro and lime juice from 1/2 of a lime on mine before I ate it.  It was sooo good. And easy.

No comments: