Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mediterranenan Chops

Pork and I have a challenging relationship. I want to like it and do like it.  My past with pork has left me with a not so happy tummy, so I've scratched pork as the other white meat.

Fast forward 5 years and suddenly pork and I are back to being BFFs.  The body, and age, is a weird thing.

I've had this recipe for about 6 years and am glad I finally made it.  It was good, not great.  It was sweeter than I thought it would be. It also has a strong oregano vibe and I am NOT friends with oregano.  Still, it was a decent recipe and while it has a lot of ingredients it's very easy to put together.

Mediterranean Chops
Serves 4

  • 4 Boneless pork chops
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cup onions, sliced
  • 1 cup golden raisins
  • 2 T garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
  • 1 1/2 cups Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 2 T sugar
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 cup pimiento stuffed green olives
  • 2T capers, drained and crushed
  • 2 T chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 T lemon zest

Season chops with salt and pepper, dust with flour.

Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the chops and sauté until browned on each side, about 5 minutes; remove from pan.

Add onion and sauté 3 minutes; stir in raisins and garlic, sauté another minute.

Deglaze with the Marsala, scraping up the brown bits form the bottom of the pan.

Stir in tomatoes, broth, vinegar, sugar and oregano, bring to a boil.  Return chops to the pan, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add the olives and capers; simmer until heated through.

Put pork chops on a serving platter and cover with olive sauce.

No comments: