Thursday, October 7, 2010

Asian Ragu

I wasn't 100% sure how this recipe would turn out. Skeptical of its nature, but I knew I liked all of the ingredients, so I figured it couldn't miss.

And it mostly didn't.

I'm not sure I'd ever make it again. Good, for the most part, but it was lacking something. I think if I ever do this again I'd toss in some water chestnuts.  The meat sauce needed a crunch of some sort.

Asian Ragu
Serves 4

  • 2 T Peanut Oil
  • 1 cup diced shallots
  • 2 T minced garlic
  • 2 T minced ginger
  • 1-2 tsp red curry paste or garlic chili sauce ( I used red curry paste, but as it cooked it started to smell and taste more like the garlic chili sauce.)
  • 1 lb ground beef sirloin
  • 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 T Fish sauce or low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp light brown sugar
  • 1 cup torn basil leaves
  • 1 cup torn mint leaves
  • Chopped dry roasted peanuts

Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and ginger root. Saute until shallots are translucent, 3-4 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic, so watch your heat.

Stir in curry sauce until combined with shallot mixture, 1 minute.

Add ground beef. Break apart and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.

Whisk together broth, fish sauce and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved. Stir mixture into meat mixture.  Bring mixture a simmer; cook uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Serve ragu over cooked rice or rice noodles. Garnish with basil, mint and peanuts.

No comments: