Saturday, September 4, 2010

Steak Tacos

This is a delayed post. A very delayed post. I made these back in early August I think. The cookbook got buried on my desk and the recipe never got entered. Will you ever forgive me?

Good.

Now on to the goodness.

These were pretty good as I recall. My notes on them have drops of the sauce so I'm guessing they were pretty good as it was likely I was writing my notes as I was eating them. 

Easy recipe and very flavorful is what the notes say. Followed by...MMMMM. 

I added a dollop of sour cream to my tacos even though the recipe doesn't call for them. After I remembered thinking, taking the left over sauce and mixing that with the sour cream would be quite good as well.

Anyhow, enjoy.

Steak Tacos
Serves 2 - but is easy to make for more

Herb Paste
  • 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro
  • 3 Garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3 scallions, roughly chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, stemmed and seeded
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 T fresh lime juice
  • 12 oz Flank Steak (I used strip steak because it was cheaper than Flank that day)
  • Salt
  • 1/4 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp Vegetable oil
  • 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, warmed

For the herb paste:
Pulse the cilantro, garlic, scallions, jalapeno, and cumin in a food processor until finely chopped, 10-12 pulses.

Add oil and process until smooth and resembles pesto, about 15 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.  Transfer 2 T of the herb paste to a medium bowl, whisk in lime juice and set aside.

For the steak:
Pat the steak dry with paper towels. Using a fork, poke the steak 10-12 times on each side. Salt and pepper the steak. Place the steak into a zip loc bag, add the herb paste. Seal the bag, massage in the paste fully covering the steak.  Place the steak flat and let it marinate for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.  You should put it in the fridge during that time. Take it out 15 minutes before you are going to grill it.

Scrap the herb paste off the steak and sprinkle it with sugar. Cook the steak to your liking. I grilled mine, but you can grill it, put it in a frying pan, or broil it.

Transfer to a carving board and let it rest for 5 minutes.
Slice the steak thinly across the grain into small pieces, add to the bowl with the reserved herb paste and lime juice. Toss to coat.

Warm your tortillas. Spoon in an amount of steak to each tortilla.

Optional: As I said, I added a dollop of sour cream and I squirted a bit of lime juice over them.

No comments: