Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fried Round Steak

I'm in love! There I said it. Phew that was harder than I thought. But I am, I admit, madly in love with the Pioneer Woman.  Her blog has sustained me through a couple of months of not so busy life and has probably added several lbs to my butt. But I still go back to her and read her blog and make whatever it is she says to make.

Last night that was Fried Round Steak. 

This steak reminded me of a tradition my mom and I have. See each year, in years past, the DadUnit and his pals would go off doing their manly hunting once a year in October.  Mom would cook her version of chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy and corn. Healthy was not the goal of this meal. It became the "hunting meal".  We've missed the last several years mostly because Dad's health has kept him home and well they aren't living around me.

So last night I used the Fried Cube Steak recipe and had the "hunting dinner". Probably the last think I needed after a week of cruise food, but it was so worth it.

The recipe is below, but do go check out her site because her photos are beautiful.

Fried Round Steak
Recipe from the Pioneer Woman

Serves: 6
  • 3 pounds Cube Steak (round Steak That's Been Extra Tenderized)
  • 1 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
  • 3 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper, Or To Taste
  • Salt, For Seasoning Meat
  • ½ cups Canola Oil (more If Needed)
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Mix together flour, seasoned salt, and pepper. (I used McCormick's Grill seasoning instead of season salt and it could have used more salt).

Season both sides of steaks with salt and pepper. Dredge each piece in flour mixture, pressing to coat with as much flour as possible. 

Add butter to pan right before frying.

When butter is melted, fry pieces of steak in butter/oil mixture. Flip when sides are deep golden brown and cook about 1 minute on the other side. 

Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve immediately.

No comments: