Monday, August 16, 2010

Beef Brisket and Nutella Cookies

Having blogger formatting issues...please ignore the formatting...argh

Did I mention I'm addicted to two new things? Nutella and the Pioneer Woman's website/cookbook.
Growing up I remember my grandmother having Sunday dinners. It was a time for the family to get together and get caught up and eat. Lots of food. Our family was never short on cooking a lot of food. I've been tossing the idea around in my noggin about starting my own new tradition of Sunday dinners. I thought it would be a great way for me to cook big food and see people on a more regular basis.

Yesterday was the first Sunday dinner. I made brisket. I've never made brisket before, and I WILL make it again. It was so good. Flavorful, tender, juicy, man delish. I can't wait to have the leftovers tonight...which is odd for me.

I served mashed potatoes and gravy, glazed carrots and a layered salad with dinner. Then for dessert I made Nutella cookies. I can't even express how good those were. The brisket recipe belongs to the Pioneer Woman. I've pasted it below for you so you don't have to go to a new website. I tried to follow the recipe to the T, but didn't have lemons. Shocking, I know.  I used white vinegar instead. Hard to tell if it made any different in the taste, cuz it was still good. I had a 7.5 lb brisket and cooked it for 5 hours - give or take.

Beef Brisket

Recipe from Pioneer Woman

  •  2 cans Beef Consomme
  • ½ cups Lemon Juice
  • 1-½ cup Soy Sauce
  • 5 cloves Chopped Garlic
  • 2 Tablespoons Liquid Smoke
  • 10 pounds Beef Brisket
  • ½ cups Lemon Juice
  • 1-½ cup Soy Sauce
  • 5 cloves Chopped Garlic
  • 2 Tablespoons Liquid Smoke
  • 10 pounds Beef Brisket

Combine first five ingredients in large roasting pan (a disposable is just fine). Place brisket in the marinade, fat side up. Cover tightly with foil. Marinate in refrigerator for 24-48 hours. When ready to cook, place pan covered in foil into a 300-degree oven. Cook brisket for approximately 40 minutes per pound.

When fork-tender, transfer whole brisket to a cutting board. Slice against the grain and place slices back into the cooking liquid. Serve immediately, spooning juice over the slices. Barbecue sauce may be used, if preferred.



********************************
Now the Nutella Cookies....you will love these.

I love what the author says about Nutella because I feel the same way. The author writes: " Nutella and I have a history together and most of it involves a spoon and late nights highlighting my textbooks in college. A few tiny spoonfuls were enough to satisfy my sugar cravings and keep me going late into the night. However, its rich, almost luxurious flavor, made it seem like I partaking in some fancy dessert. Ever since then I always keep a small jar around, smearing over some fresh fruit, but I usually just sneak a small spoonful late at night."



You can find the recipe here. Enjoy!

No comments: