Saturday, September 18, 2010

Steak with Brandy Mushroom Sauce, Parmesan Roasted Broccoli, and Parmesan Potatoes

One of these days I'm going to remember to take pictures while I'm cooking.  Unfortunately I get so caught up in the cooking that I all but forget everything else. 

Blueberry came over tonight for dinner. As usual she was thrilled to be not only my cousin, but my guinea pig.  We have yet to toss aside whatever it was I made and order pizza. So she's pretty confident whatever I make will be good.

Tonight's menu was Steak with Brandy Mushroom Sauce, Parmesan Roasted Broccoli, and Parmesan Potatoes (I had some Parmesan cheese I needed to use up, can you tell?)

First the steak. I totally splurged and bought the New York strip they recommended in the recipe.  One relatively good sized steak fed both Blueberry and I so it wasn't too bad.  My dad would probably faint if he knew how much I paid a pound, but we won't tell him. It's my little secret.

The broccoli I had seen on Barefoot Contessa. I love broccoli. But like chicken, I get real tired of it real quick. It's one of the only real vegetables I'll consider eating on a regular basis.  Therefore, I need to be creative with cooking it. This recipe proved to be good, different and well, GOOD.

The potatoes were mostly because I liked the photo in the magazine. But really when you mix red potatoes and Parmesan cheese, could you even go wrong? I think not. 

Steak with Brandy Mushroom Sauce
Makes 2 Servings

  • 2 Beef New York strip steaks (8oz ea, 1 inch thick)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 T Extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 oz Button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 T Minced Shallot
  • 1 T Tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 tsp Flour
  • 2 T Brandy
  • 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth

Season steaks with salt and pepper; sear in oil in a large saute pan over high heat for 6 minutes, turning once. Remove from pan; let steaks rest until sauce is ready. (Note: of course I didn't actually do this step. I BBQ'd the steaks instead).

Add mushrooms and shallot to pan that was used to cook the steaks; saute over medium-high heat until any liquid is evaporated.

Stir in tomato paste; cook until it begins to brown. Add flour; cook sauce for 1 minute.  Deglaze pan with brandy; reduce until liquid is almost evaporated. Add broth; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.  Serve over meat.

Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
Serves 6:


4 to 5 pounds broccoli

  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
  • Good olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
  • 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves (about 12 leaves)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.


Cut the broccoli florets from the thick stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached to the florets, discarding the rest of the stalks. Cut the larger pieces through the base of the head with a small knife, pulling the florets apart. You should have about 8 cups of florets. Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with 5 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.

Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts, Parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.


Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
Serves: 6
  • 1 1/2 lb small red potatoes, cut into 1/2 " slices
  • 3 T Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 375F. Place baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
Toss potatoes with oil in a bowl. Combine Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and parsley; add potatoes and toss gently until potatoes are coated.

Arrange potatoes on the preheated baking sheet. Bake until potatoes are tender, 30-35 minutes.

1 comment:

Jim said...

I get hungry just reading the recipes - this and your kick-ass stroganoff sound delicious. Thanks!