Monday, April 12, 2010

Peruvian Chicken

I know every entry I start with OMG - but seriously, this recipe...Oh. My. goodness. It was more effort than I had intended, but it was worth every ounce of work.

And for those of you who know me, don't be shocked, but I actually followed this recipe word for word and I even *gasp* measured!


Peruvian Chicken
Recipe from Cuisine at Home
Serves 4 - easily

FOR CHICKEN
  • 1/4 cup Low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon Ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon Chili powder
  • 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed

FOR RICE
  • 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup Diced onion
  • 1 1/4 cups Water
  • 1 tablespoon Minced garlic
  • 2/3 cup Dry medium grain rice
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 cup Seeded, diced tomato

FOR SAUCE
  • 1/2 cup Fresh bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup Milk
  • 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup Diced onion
  • 1 tablespoon Minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon Each: Ground cumin, chili powder, and annatto powder or paprika

  • 1 1/2 cup Chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons Fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons Grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon Ground walnuts
  • 1/4 cup Chopped walnuts
  • 2 tablespoons Chopped fresh cilantro

1. Preheat grill to high heat. Brush grill rack with oil. Combine soy sauce, 2 T lime juice, 1 T cumin, 1 T oil, oregano and chili powder in large bowl or resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, marinate in fridge while you prepare rice and sauce.

2. Heat 1 T oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup onion; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in water and 1 T garlic; bring mixture to a boil Add rice and salt; cover pan. Reduce heat to low; simmer rice 20 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork; stir in tomato.

3. Soak bread crumbs in milk in a bowl. Heat 1 T oil in sauté pan.

4. Add 1/2 cup onion and 1 T garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in cumin, chili powder and annatto; sauté 30 seconds. Add broth and bread crumbs; bring to a boil. Remove mixture from heat; stir in 2 T lime juice, Parmesan and 1T ground walnuts.

5. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Grill chicken covered, over direct heat, 6 minutes on each side or until chicken reaches 160F. Serve chicken with rice and sauce; garnish with 1/4 cup chopped walnuts and cilantro.


********************

As I was doing step 3 I wondered about not using fresh bread crumbs and after I tasted and had the sauce I realized that fresh soaked in milk is the only way to go.

I had no idea what annatto was and so used Paprika in its place. I now need to find out what it is and where I can get it - cuz I'll be making this recipe again. = ) Enjoy!

No comments: