Saturday, July 25, 2009

Seared Steak with Roasted Mushrooms and Spinach Salad

I was in the mood for beef tonight. Last week was a chicken-fest for me, so I needed some beef. Thankfully the recipe that came out of the bowl was a steak recipe.

Now, there's a couple of things with this recipe. It's designed so that you should have left overs. The original recipe indicated all left over steak could be used in tostadas or steak tacos. Makes sense to me. Too bad I'm not a left over girl.

Also, I didn't use spinach. I had a baby red mix (which I love) and so did that with the vinegar and oil listed below.

Finally the mushrooms, I didn't put them in the oven. It was too hot today for the oven to be on, so I sauteed them on the stove. Oh and I BBQ'd the steak instead of put it in a pan. I made sure the grill was nice and hot though so I could get that seared look.

Seared Steak with Roasted Mushrooms and Spinach Salad
Serves 4
  • 2 pounds White mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
  • 4 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
  • 5 tablespoons Olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon Paprika
  • 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
  • 2 Flank steaks (1.5 lbs each)
  • 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
  • 10 ounces Baby spinach

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Divide mushrooms, garlic, and 1 tablespoon oil between two large rimmed baking sheets; season with salt and pepper, and toss. Roast, tossing occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and browned, 15 to 20 minutes.

2. In a small bowl, combine paprika, oregano, red-pepper flakes, and 2 teaspoons salt. Rub steaks with 1 tablespoon oil, then spice mixture.

3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Sear steaks in two batches, 5 to 7 minutes per side for medium-rare (lower heat if skillet gets too dark). Transfer steaks to a plate. Tent steak with aluminum foil to keep warm.

4. In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Add spinach; toss to combine. Thinly slice steak against the grain; serve with mushrooms and spinach salad.

I served this with Parmesan mashed potatoes. Simple little recipe. Just make your mashed potatoes and toss in a handful of Parmesan cheese. I tend to load up on the pepper too when I put in Parmesan, there's something about the parm and pepper flavor together. Delicious!

No comments: