Sunday, April 5, 2009

Salisbury Steak

I'm a big fan of Salisbury Steak. I've only ordered it out a couple of times and remember being delighted each time. I have a vague recollection of either my mom or one of my grandmother's making it from time to time. I've never managed to make it, until now.

Super simple, pretty decent recipe. I made a few mistakes and therefore had to make some slight adjustments to compensate for my stupidity. But that's what cooking's all about.

Salisbury Steak
Recipe from Betty Crocker
Serves: 4
  • 1 pound Ground beef
  • 1/3 c Dry bread crumbs
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1 large Onion, sliced and separated into rings
  • 1 can (10oz) Condensed beef broth
  • 8 ounces Mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 T Cold water
  • 2 tsp Cornstarch

Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and egg; shape into 4 oval patties, each about 3/4 inch thick.

Cook patties in skillet over medium heat; turning occasionally until brown, about 10 minutes; drain. Add onion, broth and mushrooms. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until patties are done; about 10 minutes.

Remove patties; keep warm. Heat onion mixture to a boil. Mix water and cornstarch; stir into onion mixture. Boil and stir 1 minute. Serve over patties.

My mistakes? Well, I didn't cook the burgers long enough. I'm horrible when it comes to pan frying things. I do much better on the BBQ. At any rate, I had to add more stock and let them simmer longer. Oh, and I didn't have beef stock. I picked up chicken stock instead. I think that would have made a world of difference in the flavor of the gravy. Either way, I'll make this again.

No comments: