Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Teriyaki Strip Steak

Made this on Monday night. I'd do a few things differently if (and that's a big if) I make this again.

Teriyaki Strip Steak
Makes 4 steaks

Combine for the sauce:
  • 1/2 c soy sauce
  • 1/4 c honey
  • 1 T fresh ginger, minced (I grated mine on a small hand grater)
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes - WAY too much heat for this. It completely overpowered the other flavors.

Pat dry, season, sauté in 1 T peanut oil (I used vegetable oil - I'm cheap and didn't want to buy peanut oil - 4 strip steaks (I used tritip because that's what I had on hand).

Combine the sauce ingredients and set aside.

Pat steaks dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper. Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add oil, swirl to coat. Sauté seasoned steads 3 minutes per side. Add sauce to the pan and allow to reduce to a syrup, about 3 minutes. Serve with rice.

So - I don't like frying steaks. Any kind of steaks. I don't recall us EVER frying steaks at home. We BBQ'd them. So, I BBQ'd these steaks and set the sauce on simmer for 10 minutes to thicken. Once the steaks were done, I sliced them and drizzled them with the sauce.

If I make this again, I'd actually marinade the steaks in the sauce for 30 minutes or so.

No comments: