Sunday, February 15, 2009

Asian Flank Steak and Garlic Lime Rice

So two of the recipes I picked out of the bowl I figured went well together for one meal. Asian Flank Steak and Garlic Lime Rice. I had never really thought about adding lime to rice, but omg it was so good. I think I did discover, however, you can add too much lime flavor ... a bit tart. I'd so make the rice again, but not overdose on lime juice. The steak, not all that impressed. I think first I picked the wrong cut of meat (flank steak was too expensive), then I overcooked the steak. But regardless of that, the flavors of the marinade (which I didn't do for as long as it said) wasn't so fantastic. I've had way better.

Asian Flank Steak
Servings: 6
  • 1 pound Flank steak
  • 1/4 c Vegetable oil
  • 1/4 c Orange juice
  • 3 T Soy sauce
  • 3 T Honey
  • 3 T Rice wine vinegar
  • 2 T Minced green onion
  • 1 1/2 tsp Grated fresh ginger
  • 1 clove Garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
  • 3 T Water

Score the steak diagonally across the grain at 3/4 inch intervals.

Combine oil and next 7 ingredients in shallow dish or heavy ziploc bag. Add steak. Seal and chill 8 hours, turning occasionally.

Remove steak from marinade; reserving marinade.

Grill steaks to desired doneness.

Bring reserve marinade to a boil in a sauce pan, and boil at least one minute or until it reduces.

Stir together cornstarch and water until smooth. Add to marinade; bring to a medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring constantly for one minute. Spoon over steak.

The partner to this meal was the Garlic Lime Rice. Delicious. I'd totally make this again.

Garlic Lime Rice
Makes 2 cups
  • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 c dry long grain white rice
  • 2 c water
  • 2 T fresh lime juice
  • 1 tsp Kosher salt
  • 2 T minced fresh cilantro
  • 2 tsp lime zest, minced

Sauté garlic in oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat until golden. Do not overcook the garlic. Stir in rice and sauté 2 minutes. Rice should be somewhat translucent.

Add water, lime juice and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until water is absorbed, 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and lime zest.

You'll enjoy the rice, I promise. It was stickier than I expected, and I cooked it for about 30 minutes not just 20. The water didn't seem to evaporate enough. Enjoy!

No comments: