Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Balsamic Flank Steak and Brave Potatoes

Sometimes, well more than sometimes, I wonder where they come up with names for recipes. Brave Potatoes? Really. I didn't see anything brave about them. They were good, don't get me wrong, but I didn't feel "brave" eating them.

Anyhow, first two recipes this week were from one of my Cuisine at Home cookbooks - Weeknights. The idea behind the cookbook is to make weeknight meals simple, affordable, and nutritious. Last night I made Balsamic Flank Steak and Brave Potatoes.

First, I didn't have flank steak. Instead I had a skirt steak. Big mistake. Balsamic vinegar is such a powerful flavor you really need the thickness of a flank steak to temper the flavor. Skirt steaks are very thin.

Second, I screwed up the potatoes. My lack of patience, and my inability to set a timer, made the potatoes not quite done, and then I over cooked them.

Finally, I didn't bother with the Parsley & Cilantro sauce. I didn't have parsley for starters. Well, I did, but it wasn't happy parsley if you know what I mean. And I decided I didn't really need the extra component.

Balsamic Flank Steak and Parsley-Cilantro Sauce
Makes 1 flank steak (1lb - 1 1/2 lb)

  • 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp Kosher salt.

Whisk these together. Take your flank steak - any fat should be trimmed off - and marinate it for 15 minutes. Grill to the required doneness. As you're grilling it, with each flip, baste it with the remaining marinade. Once cooked to your liking, let it rest for 5 minutes.

Parsley Cilantro Sauce
  • 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes.

Process the above in a food processor to combine. Set aside.

Once the steak has rested, slice against the bias. Drizzle with parsley cilantro sauce.

Brave Potatoes
Makes 1 1/2 lb

  • 1 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled
  • 1 T Garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp Red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp Paprika

Cut each potato in to wedges, then cut each wedge in half crosswise. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add potatoes and parboil for 10 minutes, drain. Fry potatoes in oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes on one side. Flip potatoes and fry another 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and paprika; sauté 1 minute and remove from heat.

No comments: