Friday, December 8, 2006

Tangy Almond Garlic String Beans


Vicky asked me yesterday for the recipe for the green beans I made on Thanksgiving. It was a recipe that I got from the Food Channel, which I should buy stock in since I watch it ALL The time. So here's the recipe. For like, once in my life I didn't actually mess with the recipe. I did, however, forget the last step of topping it with the toasted almonds. So guess what ended up on my oatmeal the next morning. Yum.
Photo courtesy of FoodNetwork


Tangy Almond Garlic String Beans
Courtesy of Dave Lieberman, FoodNetwork
Serves 4 to 6
  • Salt
  • 1 pound string beans, trimmed
  • 1/2 c sliced almonds
  • 1/2 c olive oil
  • Salt
  • 4 to 5 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1-inch piece ginger, grated
  • 1/2 tsp dried red chili flakes
  • 1/4 c red wine vinegar

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the beans and cook for just 1 to 2 minutes, until the beans turn bright green. Strain them and run under cold water to stop them from cooking.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the almonds and toast them until golden brown, about 4 minutes, shaking the pan often to avoid burning the almonds. Remove the toasted almonds from the pan.

Return the skillet to the burner and increase the heat to medium-high. Heat the olive oil in the pan and add a few pinches of salt, the garlic, ginger, and chili flakes. Cook just until the garlic starts to brown. Add the vinegar and let cook down for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and toss in the beans to coat them thoroughly and evenly with the dressing.

Serve on a platter and scatter the top with the toasted almonds.

2 comments:

Vicky said...

I made this last night along with an oven baked herb crusted chicken...yummy. I absolutely LOVE this green bean recipe!

Jenn from WA said...

And where, exactly, is my recipe for the baked herb crusted chicken?