Friday, December 8, 2006

Steak Tips with Mushrooms, Garlic, and Thyme

I love to cook on Friday nights. Most people, I think, are probably too tired to cook on Fridays. All that aside, I made a fantastic dinner tonight. Dinner guests included me and the movie Persuasion.

Steak Tips with Mushrooms, Garlic, and Thyme
Courtesy of Cook's Country
Serves: 4
Photo courtesy of Cook's Country

  • 2 T Vegetable oil
  • 10 ounces White mushrooms, halved or quartered
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
  • 1 1/2 lb Sirloin steak tips, patted dry
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/4 c Brandy
  • 3/4 c Low sodium Chicken broth
  • 2 tsp Roughly chopped thyme
  • 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
  • 1 T Unsalted butter

Heat 1 T oil in a large non stick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until brown in spots.

Reduce heat to medium and push mushrooms to sides of the pan. Add 1 tsp oil and garlic to clearing in center of pan and stir until garlic is browned and crisp, about 30 seconds.

Stir garlic into mushrooms, cook for 30 seconds, then transfer mixture to serving platter.

Increase heat to high, add remaining 2 tsp oil to skillet, and season steak with salt and pepper. Place steak in pan so pieces are not touching. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook until well browned, 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer steak to platter and tent loosely.

Combine brandy and chicken broth in small bowl. Add to pan along with thyme and mushroom mixture. Using wooden spoon, scrape the brown bits from bottom of pan. Simmer until thicken, 5-7 minutes.

Add accumulated beef juices back to pan, whisk in mustard and butter, and season with salt and pepper. Pour mushroom and sauce over meat.

Serve.

*******************
So, what did I do different? Someday I may learn to follow a recipe, but until then...

I didn't have any chicken stock, but conveniently I had about a cup of beef broth. It might have made the sauce a bit too rich, but it was still quite good.

I used dried thyme instead of fresh, and may have used a bit too much. If you're using dried, use less than the recipe calls for.

I served this with rice - which I cooked wrong, but that's another story. And a nice meaty Merlot, of which I'm still "finishing".

Would I make this again? In a heart beat. It was easy, quick and filling.

Enjoy!

No comments: