Monday, December 18, 2006

Basic Beef Stew with Carrots and Mushrooms

I love stews. They're so simple, and so comforting. Nothing is as good on a cold winter day than a good stew and a good book. The stew will have to do for now.

The stew I made on Saturday was just a "toss together" meal. Using skills and knowledge from other recipes, I just gathered what I consider stew ingredients and put them together. Cousin Sherrie was over and was surprised that it turned out so good without a recipe. Who needs a recipe?

I did promise friend Vicky that I'd post my favorite stew recipe. I've made this one on a number of occasions. And its tasty.

Basic Beef Stew with Carrots and Mushrooms
Courtesy of MyRecipes
Serves 4
Photo courtesy of MyRecipes

  • 1 T Olive oil
  • 1 lb Cremini mushrooms (I've made it with white button mushrooms, but its not as good)
  • 2 c chopped onions
  • 3 cloves Garlic, minced
  • 1/3 c all purpose flour
  • 2 lbs lean stew meat
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 c Dry red wine
  • 1 T Fresh Thyme
  • 2 cans Low sodium beef broth
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 2 c peeled, white potatoes, cubed
  • 1.5 c Carrots, sliced about 1/2 inch
  • 1/2 tsp Fresh ground pepper


Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté for 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown.

Spoon mushrooms into a large bowl.

Lightly coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute. Add onion mixture to mushroom mixture.

Place flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge beef in flour, shaking off excess. Heat remaining 2 tsp oil. Cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Add browned beef to mushroom mixture.

Add 1 cup in to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add thyme, broth and bay leaf, bring to a boil. Stir in beef mixture. Cover, reduce heat to med-low and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is just tender.

Stir in potatoes and carrots. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until beef and vegetables are very tender and sauce is thick.

Discard bay leaf.

******************************
This particular recipe I've not messed with much. I have made it without the bay leaf. I'm not convinced a bay leaf adds all that much flavor. But who am I?

No comments: