Sunday, October 9, 2022

Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole (Recipe 135 of 150)

Photo from Lauren's Latest
Tonight is Sunday Dinner. The theme? Casseroles! Usually when we do casseroles we have so much food it's not even funny. Tonight, I'm 100% sure we're going to have too much food that is is funny. 

I'm making two casseroles. Why? I couldn't decide which one to make. One is a good side dish. The other is a funny take on a childhood casserole my mother used to make. 

This recipe was outstanding. The real recipe says it'll feed 4. I think that's only if you're eating this. If you use it as a side, it'll easily feed 6-8. I'm planning on it helping to feed 7. And I am SURE there will be leftovers. 

I have two gluten free people coming tonight so I had to swap out the cream of chicken soup for sour cream. Frankly, I like it better than how it might have tasted with cream of chicken. Those cream soups are often used in casseroles as a binder. Turns out sour cream does as well. So that's what we went with. 

Go light on the salt since you're putting ham in this dish. I never salt until everything is all together. Taste it and adjust. 



Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
Recipe from Lauren's Latest
Serves 6 
  • 2 T butter
  • 1/2 medium onion diced
  • 1 large carrot peeled & diced
  • 1 ear yellow sweet corn
  • 2 c steamed broccoli florets
  • 4 oz. deli ham diced
  • 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 pinches ground thyme
  • 1 c Long grain white rice
  • 2 c water
  • 1 1/2 c medium cheddar cheese grated
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease baking dish and set aside. {Use a 9x9 square dish or one that is slightly larger.} JW note: I think mine was 9X12 give or take. It wasn't the large 9x13 - that held the other casserole. 

Place large skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Sauté onions, carrot, corn, and ham 5-7 minutes or until veggies start to soften. Stir in broccoli and cream of chicken soup.

Once soup starts to melt into the veggies, add in seasonings, rice and water. Stir to incorporate and remove any lumps

Melt cheese into mixture and pour entire contents of skillet into prepared baking dish. Bake 40 minutes or until rice is completely cooked and no liquid remains. Serve hot.

No comments: