Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Overnight Oats

Overnight oats have been all the rage for a couple of years now. I never much cared to even try them because, well, I wasn't really watching what I was eating. Now, I am and figured I might as well try it. 

I put out on FB to my friends to send me their favorite recipes. I got several, but decided to try this one first. 

I think I'm not a fan. I think I like my oats warm not cold. I'm not done with this idea yet though. I have a few more recipes to try. But this recipe is not for me.


Overnight Oats
Recipe from Once Upon a Chef
Makes 1

FOR THE OATS:
  • ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • ½ cup milk (any kind except coconut milk)
  • 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
  • 1½ teaspoons chia seeds (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • Pinch cinnamon
  • Pinch salt
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS
  • Fresh or dried fruit
  • Nuts/seeds
  • Granola
  • Shredded or toasted coconut
  • Nut butter
  • Apple butter or pumpkin butter
  • Honey or maple syrup
  • Cinnamon or nutmeg

In a small jar or airtight container, add the oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds (if using), maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt.

Stir well to ensure everything is mixed evenly.

Seal the jar/container and place it in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 4 hours, to allow the oats to soak up the liquid and soften.

In the morning, stir the mixture. If it seems too thick, add a splash of milk to reach your desired consistency. Top with your favorite optional toppings and enjoy.

MAKE-AHEAD INSTRUCTIONS

The overnight oats can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Go ahead and make a big batch so you’ve got a delicious make-ahead breakfast on hand.

No comments: