Monday, September 9, 2024

Beef Fried Rice

I love fried rice. There was a Chinese Restaurant by my house in Redmond and it made the BEST fried rice. I've never found another like it. 

Ordering rice through a Chinese restaurant is always hit or miss with me. Sometimes it lacks flavor. I'd been craving fried rice and didn't want to order it. I figured it couldn't be that hard to make, so I tracked down a recipe. 

This was a solid recipe. I doubled the sauce because I want to make sure it covered the rice. Turns out I didn't need to. The sauce was too much. I had to add more rice. 

If you don't have Dark Soy Sauce you can substitute it with regular soy sauce (low sodium is best) or beef stock. 



Beef Fried Rice
Serves 4

  • 2 T dark soy sauce
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • 1 T oyster sauce
  • 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
  • 2 T vegetable oil
  • 8 ounces sirloin steak cut into 1/4th inch strips
  • 1/2 c small diced onion
  • 1 c frozen peas and carrots
  • 2 large eggs lightly beaten
  • 3 c cooked and cooled rice
  • thinly sliced scallions for garnish optional

In a small bowl stir together the dark soy, soy, oyster sauce, and sesame oil, set aside.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat add 1/4th of the oil to the pan and add the beef, sear the steak getting a char on it, cooking it until just done, 3-5 minutes.

Place the beef on a plate and set aside.

Add 1/4th of the oil to the skillet and sauté the onion until softened and starting to brown, 2 minutes.

Add the peas and carrots, until slightly softened for 3 minutes.

Add the cooked veggies to the plate with the beef.

Add 1/4th of the oil to the pan and scramble the egg, stirring occasionally until cooked, about 1 minute, add to the plate with the beef and veggies.

Add the remaining oil to the pan and add the rice. Let it sit for about 2 minutes to get a slight char, stir it around and add the cooked beef, veggies, and egg back to the pan, stir to combine.

Add the sauce and stir to coat everything.

Continue to cook for about 3 more minutes so everything warms through and the flavors can blend.

Serve immediately with a garnish of optional scallions.

ENJOY!

No comments: