Monday, November 21, 2022

Mexican Rice (Recipe 145 of 150)

Mexican rice is one of the recipes I'm forever chasing to find the "perfect" recipe. I've come close and have several recipes I like. This recipe will be added to the list. 

It was flavorful and Damn Delicious (hahah I couldn't resist - that's the name of the blog I got it from). 

So, I didn't add any of the veggies - except the onion, but I don't count that as a vegetable. I'm not a fan of veggies in my Mexican rice. 


Mexican Rice
Recipe from Damned Delicious
Serves 6
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
  • 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 1/2 cup diced carrots
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in rice until toasted, about 2 minutes.

Stir in tomato sauce and vegetable broth, and bring to a simmer, about 2 minutes. Stir in corn, carrots, peas, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is cooked through, about 13-16 minutes. Stir in tomatoes.

Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro, if desired.

No comments: