Saturday, October 8, 2022

Sweet and Sour Baby Back Ribs (134 of 150)

Oh man. These were fantastic. The recipe didn't make sense to me completely so I kinda made it up as I went along. Rereading it now I'm not sure what was so confusing. 

Ahem. 

I didn't use baby backs - they were too expensive. I used country style instead. I think either works fine. Because I was using country style, I put them in a casserole dish and spooned the sauce over it. I let them cook for 2.5 hours at 325F. They were delicious. 

Sweet and Sour Baby Back Ribs
Recipe from Spicy Southern Kitchen
Serves 4

Sauce
1 c orange juice
1/2   packed brown sugar
1/3   apple cider vinegar
3 T ketchup
2 T soy sauce
1 1/2 T cornstarch
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T vegetable oil
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced into thin rings
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger

Ribs
2 (2-pound) racks baby back ribs, silver skin removed
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 green onions, sliced

In a bowl, whisk together the orange juice, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, cornstarch, and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add jalapeno slices, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 1 minute.

Add orange juice mixture and bring to a boil. Simmer until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set a wire rack inside the baking sheet.

Sprinkle both sides of the ribs with salt and pepper. Place them meaty side up on the wire rack.

Measure out 1/2 cup of sauce and set aside the rest. Brush the ribs with the 1/2 cup of sauce.

Place in oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Brush ribs with some of the remaining sauce. Place back in oven for 5 to 10 minutes.

Reheat the remaining sauce. Place ribs on a serving platter and pour the remaining sauce over them.

Sprinkle with green onions and serve.

No comments: