Thursday, October 6, 2022

Chicken and Mushroom Marsala Rotelle (Recipe 131 of 150)

Extra! Extra! This just in! I am not a fan of big pasta. I had a feeling it wasn't my favorite, but last night's dish solidified my theory. Big pastas are too much pasta to nibbles ratio. 

That said, this recipe needed some help. It didn't have that great of flavor with just the marsala wine and the garlic as the sauce. 

My first change is that I don't like reheated chicken so I sautéed chicken pieces, then did the mushrooms. 

After adding the chicken, mushrooms, marsala and garlic, the sauce just didn't taste great. I tossed in about a quarter cup half and half. Ah hah! A cream sauce. That's what it needed. 

I also had a couple of spears of asparagus that I had to use up. I dropped it into the pasta right before I drained it. 

I doubt I'd make this recipe again. Too many others to try, but you should give it a try if you like chicken marsala. It definitely had that marsala flavor. 


Chicken and Mushroom Marsala Rotelle
Recipe from The Mom 100

Serves 6
  • Kosher salt to taste
  • 1 pound rotelle or another short chunky pasta
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • ½ c dry marsala wine
  • 1 pound cleaned mushrooms
  • 4 c diced or slivered or shredded cooked chicken
  • ¼ c chopped fresh parsley plus more to serve if desired

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water generously, and let it return to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook accordingly to package directions, stirring occasionally. Before you drain the pasta make sure to remove a cup of the cooking water.

While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute until it starts to turn golden, then add the mushrooms, turn the heat to medium-high and sauté for 8 minutes until they are browned. Add the marsala and chicken and stir, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, until the wine reduces by half, about 2 minutes.

Drain the pasta, adding ½ cup of the reserved cooking water to the pan with the chicken. Return the pasta to the pot, and add the chicken mixture to the pasta, along with the parsley, and toss to combine. Add more of the reserved cooking water if needed to moisten. Serve hot, with the additional parsley if desired.

No comments: