Monday, October 4, 2021

Copycat Pasta E Fagioli (Recipe 133 of 125)

 It's soup season y'all. Yes, I believe there is a season for soup. Though my dad didn't. He'd eat soup any chance he got. Which I think is why I love making soup. It does make me think of dad. 

I haven't been to the Olive Garden for ages, but I remember really liking their Pasta E Fagioli soup. And I know you're asking yourself, "Self? How is that pronounced?" Ask no further. Or if you're too lazy to click that link it's pronounced "faa jow li". 

This recipe was FANTASTIC...It made enough to feed a small army - so I'll have leftovers for me and some for the Pantry Goat. I did make a couple of modifications this time and one I'll make next time. 

  1. Added a dash of garlic powder and garlic salt. It just didn't have enough flavor to it.
  2. Added a couple of dashes of hot sauce. I mean, why not?
  3. Next time I won't bother adding the pasta. Which is funny considering it's in the recipe name. I just don't think it needs that extra something.

Copycat Pasta E Fagioli
Recipe from 12Tomatoes

Serves 6

  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, diced
  • 3 ribs celery, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar (Sugar used in tomato sauces decreases the "tinny" taste that sometimes comes with tomato based sauces)
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 8 oz dry ditalini pasta
  • 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, for serving
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Brown ground beef in a large pot over medium-high heat.

When beef is almost cooked through, add onions, carrots, and celery and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.

Add tomato sauce, beef broth, 1/2 cup water, canned tomatoes, sugar, oregano, and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low.

Let simmer 5 minutes, stir in ditalini pasta, and continue cooking until vegetables are soft and pasta is al dente, about 10 minutes more.

Add beans, season to taste with salt and pepper, and thin with more water, if desired.

Serve with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

No comments: