Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Crispy Panko Coated Ranch Chicken

I'm not counting this as a "new" recipe. I had a memory of my mom making Shake n Bake chicken one night. At dinner she stated that she could do better with her grandma's saltine chicken. From then on I only remember my coating chicken in this type of combo. I think she used bread crumbs instead of panko. 

At any rate, I made this on Sunday night with the air fryer. I didn't want to turn on a stove or oven considering how freaking hot it was outside. This flavor combo hit the spot. 

For some odd reason, I always end up with one sleeve of saltines that never seem to get used up. So this recipe was perfect for using up my pantry items. It's quick. It's easy, and oh so delicious. 

The only modification I made was I sprinkled the chicken breasts with some of the powdered ranch BEFORE applying the mayo. No reason really other than I had left over ranch powder and I thought it might kick up the ranch flavor. It did so there's that. I served it along side a nice caprese salad. 

Crispy Panko Coated Ranch Chicken
Recipe from DeepSouthDish

  • 1 c panko style bread crumbs
  • 1/2 sleeve of saltine crackers, crushed
  • 3 T (or 1 packet) of dry Ranch Dressing and Seasoning Mix (like Hidden Valley)
  • 6 boneless, skinless or bone-in chicken breasts with skin
  • 1/4 tsp Cajun seasoning, or to taste, optional
  • 1/4 to 1/2 c mayonnaise
  • 1/4 c butter, melted

Oven:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray; set aside.

In a shallow pan, mix together the panko crumbs, cracker crumbs and ranch seasoning mix. Lightly season the chicken with Cajun seasoning, brush with mayonnaise and dredge in the panko mixture. Place on the prepared pan and drizzle with the melted butter. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 40 to 45 minutes for large boneless, skinless breasts, or about 50 minutes for bone-in, or until juices run clear and chicken reads 160 degrees F on an instant read thermometer, when measured in the thickest part of the breast. Pass quickly under the broiler to brown further, if desired.

To Air Fry:
Air fryers vary in wattage by brand and size. You may need to adjust times for your brand. Pound chicken breasts to even thickness. Prepare as above, except substitute cooking oil spray for the butter. I recommend the EVO brand of oil sprayers. Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees for 3 minutes. Spray basket or racks and spray both sides of breaded chicken breasts. Cook, in batches if necessary, at 380 degrees F for 12 minutes longer, or until juices run clear when poked with knife tip or an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees F, turning halfway and respraying. If chicken breasts are more than 3 to 4 ounces, you'll need to add more time.

No comments: