Monday, June 14, 2021

Country Fried Steak

Technically this is a new recipe, but it's so simple I don't feel right counting it AND I forgot the main ingredient. <face palm>

I won't ever make this recipe again. My mom's chicken fried steak recipe is way better. The difference with hers is it's done in the oven and it ALWAYS goes with mashed potatoes and gravy. 

This one was done in the air fryer (an appliance I haven't used for almost 2 months). I forgot the buttermilk and attempted to make my own. I'm not really sure if that's what made these weird or if it's just the air fryer with a wetish coating. 

To make buttermilk, I used 1 c milk and 1 Tablespoon white vinegar. 

The air fryer cooked these steaks well, but there wasn't a brown crunchy coating. There was flour that didn't seem to get cooked. So in order to fix that, I dropped them in a fry pan to crisp them up a bit. 

Bottom line, not really a great outcome to this recipe for me.

Country Fried Steak
Recipe from Centennial Kitchen Air Fryer Recipes

Serves 4

  • 1 c flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 c buttermilk
  • 1 tsp hot sauce
  • 1 egg
  • 4 (6 oz) cube steaks

Set up a dredge station with one bowl flour, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Second bowl buttermilk, hot sauce and egg.

Dredge steaks in flour - shake off excess. Dredge in buttermilk. Then dredge in flour mixture again. Set aside and let it rest. 

Put all breaded steaks into air fryer. Lightly coat with cooking spray. 

Cook at 400F for 8 minutes, turning halfway through.

Remove and serve with gravy. 

No comments: