Sunday, December 29, 2019

The Best Swedish Meatballs

For my birthday this year, I did a birthday party where people bring their favorite appetizers. We always have enough to feed a small army and this year was no different.

I hadn't put much thought into what I was going to make so I sat with my recipe book (aka Paprika - an online recipe keeper) and went through my recipes.

I stumbled onto this gem. I knew I wasn't going to be up for making the meatballs so I bought frozen ones. They were fine, for tonight. I definitely want to make the real ones some day.

The Best Swedish Meatballs
Recipe from Cafedelites.com
Photo courtesy of CafeDelites.
She takes the best photos of her food.

Serves 6
Meatballs:
1/3 c breadcrumbs
1/2 c milk
1 large egg
1 large clove garlic , grated or minced
1/3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp EACH of black pepper and ground white pepper
1/4 tsp all purpose seasoning
1/2 of an onion , finely chopped
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
2 T fresh , finely chopped parsley
1 T butter
2 tsp olive oil

This is the part that I did make from scratch and it was delicious!
Gravy Sauce :
1/3 c butter
1/4 c plain / all purpose flour
1 c vegetable broth (or stock)
1 c beef broth (or stock)
1 c thickened (or heavy) cream*
2 tsp regular soy sauce
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper , to season

In a large bowl, mix the breadcrumbs together with the milk, cream (If using), egg, garlic, salt, peppers and spice. Allow the milk to soak into the breadcrumbs for at least 10 minutes.

Once the milk has absorbed some, add in the onion, meat(s) and parsley. Mix well with your hands to combine.

Roll meat into about 24 small balls, or 16 larger balls.

Heat 1 tablespoons of butter and 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Fry meatballs in batches of two so they don’t stew or simmer. Transfer to a warm plate and cover with foil.

Add the 1/3 cup butter to the juices in the pan to melt. Whisk in the flour until it dissolves and turns brown in color. Pour in the broth (or stock), cream, soy sauce and Dijon. Bring to a to simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix the sauce through well to combine all of the flavors together.

Continue to simmer until thickened.

To serve:

Non Swedish way: Place meatballs into the gravy in the pan and serve

Traditional Swedish way: Do not make the cream sauce at all. Serve meatballs over plain or stewed macaroni, plain or mashed potatoes, and lingenberry jam (optional)

No comments: