Thursday, December 26, 2019

Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole

I have heard of these types of potato casseroles as "funeral potatoes".  I think it's the type that people can bring to church potlucks or funerals. It' makes a good amount (9x13) and can I just say...are incredibly delicious.

I would modify this recipe ever so slightly when I make them again.

First, I'd saute the onions. Putting the raw onion in without sauteing it made the onions a bit crunchy and they still had a bite to them.

Then, I don't think cream of chicken soup is the right flavor for this. I think you could either, do away with that soup because there's already a lot of liquid going on in this. Or add mayo, or use another cream of something. It's really a very versatile recipe.

Bacon on top would have really made this fantastic...oh and maybe green onions. MMM. I didn't use corn flakes or Ritz as the topper. I had panko so I used them and it was fantastic.

So, bottom line... 5 stars for sure.

Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole
Recipe from Cooks.com
Serves 6 - easily
Photo from The Salty Marshmallow

2 lbs. hash browns, defrosted (JW Note, and you might want to ring them out a bit)
1/2 c melted butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c milk
1 c sour cream
2 c grated sharp cheese (Colby or cheddar)

TOPPING:
2 c crushed corn flakes (can use Ritz crackers)
1/2 c melted butter

Mix above ingredients and put in a 9"x13" pan.

Melt butter and add corn flakes to mix. Sprinkle topping over potatoes and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

JW Modifications:
1. Cream of Chicken didn't add much flavor. Can use any cream of whatever soup
2. Need to sauté the onions before putting into the casserole. They were still pretty strong after cooking
3. Bacon on the top would be a nice topper to this. As would green onions.
4. I used Panko instead of corn flakes for the top.

No comments: