Sunday, February 22, 2015

Chicken Tacos

I'm a fan of tacos. Mostly my own tacos. Mom taught me a thousand years ago and that recipe has  never changed. I don't deviate from that.

But...when trying to cut down on the calories, occasionally its okay to try something else.

This chicken taco recipe I could have made blind folded, but instead actually followed the recipe. Shocker, I know.

It's easy, and delicious. My two favorite ingredients.

Chicken Tacos
Recipe From Weight Watchers The New Complete Cookbook
Serves 6

4 (5oz) boneless chicken breasts
2 tsp Mexican or taco seasoning (Oh maybe I didn't follow the recipe. I used chili powder, salt and pepper)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
12 (6in) corn tortillas, warmed
1 large tomato, diced
1 hass avocado (halved, pitted, peeled and diced (yah I skipped this one too - gross)
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 c coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 c fat free sour cream

Sprinkle chicken with Mexican seasoning, salt and pepper. Spray ridged grill pan (now you all know I just used the outdoor grill - but let's not mince words) with nonstick spray and set over medium heat.

Place chicken in pan and cook until browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. When cool enough to handle, tear chicken into long, thin strips.

Top each tortilla with one-sixth of chicken, tomato, avocado, onion, cilantro and sour cream. Fold in half and devour.

Another side note from me...I had a spare lime around and topped it off with a squeeze of lime. And in case you're wondering...I know you were...I heated my tortillas over an open flame on the grill. You could, alternatively, wrap them in foil and stick them in the oven to heat. I try to avoid the microwave with corn tortillas - for some reason they get weird to me.

No comments: