Monday, August 25, 2014

Chicken with Rice

I blame my dad for my love of anything chicken with rice. Paella is one of my favorite dishes, followed very closely with Arroz con Pollo.  If a recipe has chicken in it and it has rice in it, I'm most likely going to like it.

This is a Weight Watchers recipe and it's quite tasty for the 8 points you'll spend with it. I will admit, however, I didn't put in the peas - I forgot to buy them. I never think to go down the frozen vegetable aisle and thus just forgot. I also left out the bell peppers because they're evil.

The key with the calories with this recipe is all about portion control. I used chicken breast instead of legs and thighs (not a dark meat fan) and cut the breast meat into chunks.  And while I measured out the a serving, I may have gone back and had a little bit more.

One more thing, I accidentally bought diced tomatoes that had green chilis in it. I'll make this again with normal diced tomatoes, but I don't think this made it bad at all.

Chicken with Rice
Recipe from Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
Serves 4
Photo courtesy of WW Complete cookbook

1 1/2 lb bone in chicken parts (thighs, breasts and drumsticks), skinned
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 tsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 c reduce-sodium chicken broth
1/3 c white rice
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp saffron threads, crushed
1 c frozen green peas
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantr0

Preheat oven to 350F.

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium heat.  Add chicken and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.

Add bell pepper, celery, onion and garlic to skillet; cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in tomatoes with their juice and broth; bring to boil. Stir in rice, oregano, and saffron; add chicken.

Bake, covered, 25 minutes; sprinkle with peas. Bake, covered, until chicken is cooked through, rice is tender, and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.

No comments: