Sunday, August 24, 2014

Beef and Tomato Stroganoff

I'm a big fan of stroganoff. I've had some good ones in my day and some horrific ones. I make a pretty darn good one - if I do say so myself. 

This one is decent. The tomatoes add an interesting direction to it. I think the only thing that makes this stroganoff is the sour cream you add at the end. Oh and the wide noodles.

I'll keep this one around, but am not sure it will ever rise to the top of the list again.

The original directions said to add 3 cups of reserved tomato sauce. Confusing since there was no mention of tomato sauce at all. So I swapped that out with a can of diced fire roasted tomatoes, and a half can of water (in addition to the 1 cup chicken broth). Use your judgment. If it's too thick, add some more liquid.

Beef and Tomato Stroganoff
Courtesy of Everyday Food
Serves: 4
Photo courtesy of Everyday Food

coarse salt
ground pepper
3/4 lb pappardelle (or wide egg noodles)
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb sirloin steak (patted dry and thinly sliced)
1/2 lb button mushrooms (trimmed and thinly sliced)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup sour cream
grated parmesan cheese (for serving)
 
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
 
Add oil to pot and heat over high. Add steak and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
 
Add mushrooms to pot and cook until browned and just tender, about 3 minutes.
 
Add steak, tomatoes, and broth. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
 
Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer until steak is very tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
 
Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, then add pasta, tossing to coat with sauce.
 
Sprinkle with Parmesan before serving.

No comments: