Thursday, February 27, 2014

Spicy Grilled Shrimp

So I have a love - hate relationship with shrimp.  My first real memory of shrimp dates back to 1986 in Spain. Dad ordered Paella and it was delivered with shrimp on it. The shrimp-ees had their heads, and shells, and feet, and everything still attached. I wasn't a fan of having to take apart my shrimp before I ate it - especially when one of them still had some egg sacks attached. Ick.

I'm not a fan of taking my shrimp apart. I like my shrimp peeled and deveined. 

This recipe calls for shrimp with tails on it, which I'm fine with, but all I found to buy were shrimps that have their bodies still on and what I affectionately call their "poop track".  I had to take them apart and remove the "poop track".  Makes me not want to cook shrimp.

Still I managed and this recipe is easy and delicious.  I made these early and chilled them then put them on a salad.  Worked well for me.

I think I may make this again for a Sunday dinner appetizer.

Spicy Grilled Shrimp
Recipe from Cuisine at Home
makes 4 servings

3 T fresh lemon juice
2 T canola oil
1 T minced garlic
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
12 jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left on

Preheat grill to medium-high heat. For marinade, whisk everything but the shrimp together in a bowl. Place shrimp in bowl and let marinate for 5 minutes, or up to 30 minutes. 

Grill shrimp until charred on both sides, basting with the marinade, about 2 minutes per side.

No comments: