Monday, March 10, 2014

Creamy Pesto Cheese Spread

This past Sunday dinner I did an Italian theme. I'm prepping for me very soon vacation to Italy and other locals.  I think I was born Italian in another life. It's a food group I just love.

I made three dishes for this Sunday dinner:
1. Cream Pesto Cheese Spread - Appetizer
2. Creamy Pesto Lasagna
3. Asparagus & Prosciutto Salad

I can't even pick my favorite. They were all so good.

This appetizer I got a bit carried away with the garlic. The recipe calls for bottled garlic, but I'm not a fan so used real garlic. I think the clove I used was, perhaps, too big. Let's just say there were no vampires in the house last night.

Creamy Pesto Cheese Spread
Recipe from MyRecipes.com
Photo courtesy of MyRecipes.com

Serves: 9

8 oz fat free cream cheese
1/3 c shredded provolone cheese
3 T light mayonnaise
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp bottled minced garlic
2 T pesto sauce, divided
1 T thinly sliced basil leaves

Note about Pesto: Making pesto is super easy. I highly recommend making your own pesto.  If you do purchase store bought, buy the pesto in the refrigerated section not off the shelf by the pasta.

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.

Line a 10oz custard cup (or bowl) with plastic wrap. Spread 1/3 cheese mixture into bottom of the prepared dish. top with 1 T pesto (make sure it reaches the sides so you can see it when you flip it over). Repeat with the procedure with 1/3 cheese mixture and remaining pesto; ending with cheese mixture. It'll make three layers of cheese and two of pesto.

Cover the plastic wrap and chill for 8 hours or overnight.

Uncover and invert spread onto a serving plate; remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle sliced basil over top of the spread. Serve with baguette or crackers.

No comments: