Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Weight Watchers Turkey Enchilada Casserole

I worked from home today and figured I'd make this recipe since it had all the ingredients and had planned to make it last week. 

I'm not usually a fan of enchilada casseroles, and especially low cal ones.  This one, turns out is easy and darn good.  In fact, I was pleasantly surprised how good it is.

There are a few things I'd change with this recipe, and did.

First, I put chili powder on the turkey.  Besides salt and pepper, I added the chili powder to give the turkey a bit more flavor. 

Second, if I made this again, I'd incorporate black beans somehow. I think they'd add a nice texture to this.

Again, super easy to make and well worth it.

Turkey Enchilada Casserole
Recipe from Weight Watchers
Makes 8 servings


Photo by Jenn Wraspir
1/8th of the casserole = 218 calories

2 tsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey (the recipe actually says ground "skinless" turkey - I didn't know they made ground turkey with the skin)
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 (10 oz) cans of enchilada sauce
1 (4.5oz) can of mild chopped green chilies
1 tsp red wine vinegar (interesting...I missed this when I was cooking)
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
8 6-in corn tortillas, halved
1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 7X11 inch baking dish with non stick spray; set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in 1 tsp of the oil, then add the turkey, half of the onions, half of the garlic and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon until browned, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Swirl in the remaining 1 tsp olive oil, then add the remaining onions, garlic, 1/4 tsp salt, oregano and cumin.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until well softened, above 8 minutes.  Stir in the enchilada sauce, chilies and vinegar; bring to a boil.

[JW note - its important for me to mention I didn't follow this recipe.  I added the chilies and spices to the turkey.  I hadn't read the recipe well enough.  I'm not sure it would make that much of a difference.]

Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the flavors are blended, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.

Arrange one-third of the tortilla halves in an overlapping layer on the bottom of the dish. Spoon one-third of the turkey mixture over the top; top with one=third of the sauce and sprinkle with one-third of the cheddar.  Repeat the layering twice. Cover the pan loosely with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

[JW note - I actually think sprinkling the casserole with olives and green onions would add some nice flavor too. I had my 1/8 serving with a bit fat-free sour cream too. Delicious!]

No comments: