Friday, March 29, 2013

Chicken Stuffed with Pesto, Ham and Cheese

Just looking at that photo and I salivate.  This meal has everything in it I love...chicken, ham, fontina cheese and pesto. Yum.

I made this last night and while I didn't cook my chicken all the way through and apparently attempted to give myself food poisoning, the flavor was delicious. Super simple to make, and assuming you bake your chicken thoroughly, not going to poison you.

I made my own pesto.  Pesto is so easy to make that I find it unnecessary to buy store made pesto.  Besides once I make pesto, I make enough for three or four servings. That's a win-win to me. It freezes real well too.

Chicken Stuffed with Pesto, Ham, and Fontina Cheese
Photo courtesy of Can You Stay for Dinner.com
Courtesy of Can You Stay for Dinner? Original recipe is here.
serves 2

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (~6 ounces each)
2 thick slices smoked ham
1 ounce fontina cheese, grated
2 tablespoons basil pesto
1/2 cup homemade or store-bought seasoned bread crumbs [JW note: When I make this again, I don't think I'll use any breadcrumbs.  I didn't find it added much - but then again, I used store bought instead of homemade - which always makes the difference
2 teaspoons olive oil

Butterfly each chicken breast by slicing it thinly open like a book, taking care not to slice completely through both sides of the breast. Evenly distribute the ham, cheese, and pesto among one side of each opened chicken breast. Fold the empty sides over to cover the filling. Dredge each filled chicken breast in a shallow bowl filled with the breadcrumbs. Place them on a greased wire rack set on top of a roasting pan. Lightly brush the tops with the olive oil and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.

No comments: