Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Peanut Butter Sheet Cake

OMG!  I cannot tell you, or express in any words, just how good this cake was.  I made it for Easter dinner and it was fantastic. WARNING: it makes a lot. 

I know I should have figured out just in the title that "sheet cake" could make, well a "sheet". I just didn't think of how big a sheet was. 19X17 apparently.  Needless to say, I had plenty.

It's a recipe from Tasty Kitchen that a friend found and mentioned to me.  It was all down hill from there. The recipe is quick and easy.  I highly recommend it if you have a crowd to feed.

Photo by Tasty Kitchen
Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
Recipe from Tasty Kitchen

FOR THE SHEET CAKE:
2 c sugar
2 c flour
2 whole large eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 c sour cream
⅔ c creamy peanut butter
1 c butter
1 c water

FOR THE PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING:
½ c butter
⅔ c creamy peanut butter
6 T milk
2-½ c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

For the cake:
In a bowl combine the sugar and flour.

In a separate bowl (I used my mixer bowl) mix eggs, baking soda, and sour cream well. Set aside.

In a small saucepan combine peanut butter, butter, and water. Bring to a boil.

Stir the boiled peanut butter mixture into the flour mixture, then add to the sour cream mixture. Pour into an ungreased 15×10 inch sheet/jellyroll type pan. (JW Note: I used my 19X17 and it was just fine)

Bake 20 minutes or until done. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

For the frosting: Combine the butter, peanut butter, and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Add the powdered sugar and mix well. Let the frosting cool for a few minutes, then add vanilla. The frosting will be thick; mix well. Pour over cake while both are still warm. Let cool, then serve.

No comments: