Monday, April 4, 2011

Green and White Lightening Chunky Chicken Chile

I'm a big fan of tomatillos. Their tangy flavor with lime always reminds me of my days in Mexico.  Tonight's recipe calls for a green tomatillo salsa - store bought. And as I was dumping this store bought salsa into my pot of goodness I thought, "I totally could have made tomatillo salsa cheaper."

This recipe gets 5 stars on simplicity. Super easy to throw together. A little chopping up front and you're good to go. I'd put another can of beans in next time I make it. Seemed like there wasn't enough beans to me.  I'd also read the recipe and not dump the entire bottle of tomatillo salsa into the pot, but just put in the 1 cup as the recipe says. I almost burned my mouth off.

This recipe has potential to be warm. The salsa I did buy is mild, but it had a bigger kick to it then I thought mild would. So just be aware of the heat in this recipe.

Green and White Lightening Chunky Chicken Chile
Serves 4 (really it's more than 4 I think. You'd have to have 4 very starving people)

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 6 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
  • salt
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 cup tomatillo salsa (mild or hot)
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans
  • 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 lime, juice of
  • shredded Monterrey jack cheese or shredded Monterrey jack pepper cheese
  • corn chips

Heat a soup pot over med-high heat with the vegetable oil; add in the chicken to the hot oil; season with salt and pepper.

Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring often; add in onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, and coriander; cook 3-4 minutes, continuing to stir.

Add in the tomatillo salsa and chicken broth; bring to a simmer. Add half of the beans; with a fork thoroughly mash the other half of the beans, then add to the chili. Simmer for 10 minutes; remove chili from heat and add in cilantro, parsley, and lime juice.

Serve each bowl of chili with a little shredded cheese on top; crush up some chips and stir.

No comments: