Monday, April 4, 2011

Country Pork Ribs

I'm sure I've mentioned before that my dad is an expert BBQ'er...his speciality, to me, was always his BBQ ribs.  We used to joke that his ribs would be my dowry.  Anyhow, I've tried, unsuccessfully, to BBQ ribs. I have no patience for it.  Until last night.

Last night I decided to turn the heat down and let the ribs cook.  I had two distractions; and my favorite taste testers, Claudia and Blueberry.  They both gave two very enthusiastic thumbs up for this recipe BTW. Of course it could be because I starved them...

Anyhow, enjoy.

Country Pork Ribs
Makes enough marinade for ribs for 8 people

  • 1 cup grapefruit or orange juice (I used orange juice because it's what I had on hand. But grapefruit would be good with this now that I've tasted it)
  • 1 c ketchup
  • 1/2 c cider vinegar
  • 1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 T prepared horseradish
  • 2 T prepared mustard
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp hot pepper sauce
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 4 pounds country-style pork ribs
  • 1/4 c honey
  • 2 T brown sugar

In a bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients; mix well. Pour 1-1/2 cups marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the ribs. Seal and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.

Drain and discard marinade from the ribs. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the honey, brown sugar and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Baste ribs with some of the sauce. Grill 15-20 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°, turning and basting occasionally. Serve with the remaining sauce.

No comments: