Friday, December 24, 2010

Flank Steak Skewers with Chimichurri

I'm a fan of flank steak.  It gets expensive though.  Thankfully as a single person buying one flank steak really means 4 meals - give or take.

This particular meal I didn't actually have flank steak. It was TOO expensive at the store, so I used skirt steak in it's place.  Which I often do. 

This dish was super flavorful.  I particularly liked the Chimichurri sauce - even though I dressed it up more with lime juice.  I can't help it...I have to change the recipes.  I try, sometimes very hard, to stay within the boundaries of the recipes, but it's so difficult for me. 

Anyhow, this is a super easy main dish.  If I did it again, I'd ignore the skewer part. That, to me, is really about the appearance. And when it's just me...I don't so much care.

Do you know what Chimichurri sauce is?  It's from Argentina and is often used for dipping grilled meats.  I've had it a couple of times on beef, and as a dipping sauce for things like empenadas.  It's great. You'll love it.

Flank Steak Skewers with Chimichurri
Recipe from Cuisine Tonight - Grilling
Makes 8 skewers


For the Chimichurri:
  • 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 3 scallions
  • 1 clove garlic (it should be a medium size)
  • 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 to 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • kosher salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste

For the steak:
  • 1 1/2 lb flank steak, trimmed
  • 1 T each - ground cumin, and dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 tsp each - ground coriander, salt, and black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 3 T fresh lime juice
  • 2 T vegetable oil
  • 16 cherry tomatoes (shocking, but I used mushrooms instead)

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

Puree parsley, cilantro, scallions, garlic and vinegar in a food processor.  With the processor running, drizzle in the oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  The consistency should be like pesto.

Slice steak against the grain into sixteen 1/4 inch thick strips; set aside.

Combine the cumin, oregano, coriander, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a small bowl. Whisk in lime juice and vegetable oil and toss steak strips.

Place a cherry tomato on each of the 8 1 inch skewers.  Thread two steak strips on each skewer, folding strips accordion style. Spread strips along length of the skewer.  Place a cherry tomato at the end.

Grill skewers, covered, over direct heat for 2 minutes. Turn skewers and grill for 2 minutes more. (grill longer if you like your meat more well done).

Remove skewers from grill, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.

Serve with chimichurri sauce on the side.

No comments: