Saturday, March 13, 2010

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

Finally my appetite is back, only I'm not cooking as much as I used to. Still trying to figure that part out, but have, at least done some cooking.

Since January, I've only tried four new recipes.
And in years past I've created cookbooks of my year's favorite recipes that I've tried. This year, thanks to bills, I may not be doing it.

Still despite the lack of interest, it seems, or the lack of money, or just life being busy, my adventurous spirit of trying new recipes is apparently on vacation somewhere. Don't fear, though, it'll be back.

Two weeks back I did try a new recipe. I love (I mean LOVE) Broccoli and Beef stir fry. I've been addicted to it one too many times. I used to make is simply by beef, broccoli and a packet. Then the packet got too salty and I've been in search of an easy recipe that I would normally have all the ingredients for. Alas, I've found it.

99% of my recipes I get from Everyday Food. I seriously heart that magazine.

In typical Jenn fashion, I did not follow the recipe 100%. I wasn't interested in Chinese noodles, so I went the rice route.

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
Recipe from Everyday Food

Serves 4
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons apple juice
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3 cloves garlic , minced
  • Ground pepper
  • 1 1/4 pounds flank steak, cut diagonally across the grain into 1/2-inch-by-3-inch strips
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 head broccoli, stems trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch rounds, florets separated into bite-size pieces
  • Coarse salt


In a large, shallow bowl, mix soy sauce, apple juice, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add meat; toss to coat. Let marinate 15 minutes. Transfer meat to a plate; reserve marinade.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. In two batches, cook meat until lightly browned, turning once, about 2 minutes per batch. Remove meat. Add 1/2 cup water to pan; stir up browned bits with a wooden spoon. Pour into marinade; whisk in cornstarch.

In same skillet, fry broccoli in remaining teaspoon oil over high heat until bright green and crisp, tossing often, 2 minutes. Add 1 cup water; cook until broccoli is tender, 6 to 8 minutes.

Stir marinade, add to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until thickened, 30 seconds. Return meat to pan; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

No comments: