Sunday, March 28, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

Oh it's been a good weekend for food. Fattening weekend, but good. I was invited to some friends house for TGIF and asked if I could bring a dessert. I had found this recipe in a cookbook I had and just had to make it.

Warning: The faint at heart should not read on. The one's who could have a heart attack by just reading the ingredients should move on. = ) Did I mention this was a wee bit fattening?

I doubled the recipe because I didn't have a 9" tart pan but a larger one. If I were to make this again - or rather when I make this again - I won't double the gelatin part. The gelatin is used to thicken the cream of the no-bake pie filling.

I also couldn't find just regular old chocolate wafers cookies - so I used peanut butter filled oreo's. And let me just tell you...Oh.My.God. It added a nice hint of pb to the crust.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
Serves 8

  • 30 Chocolate wafer cookies
  • 4 T unsalted butter; melted
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1 envelop unflavored gelatin
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar (be sure to use light brown sugar on this one. Dark brown would over power the light flavor)
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts (I used salted ones because I thought the sweet and savory would go well together and it did.)

Preheat oven to 350F. Process cookies in a food process until finely ground to yield 1 3/4 cup. Add butter and pulse until crumbs are evenly moistened.

Transfer crumb mixture to a 9" tart pan with a removable bottom. Press firmly into the bottom and up the sides. (use the bottom of a medal measuring cup to help with evening and flattening). Place pan on a baking sheet; bake crust until set - 15 to 20 minutes; let cool completely.

Meanwhile, place the water in a small saucepan (off heat); sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand until softened, 5-10 minutes.

In a food processor, combine brown sugar and peanut butter; process until smooth. Add cream; process until mixture is light and holds soft peaks, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.

Place softened gelatin over very low heat, stirring, just until dissolved. Add to peanut butter mixture in food processor; blend to combine. Transfer filling to cooled crust, and smooth top with a flexible or offset spatula. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, and chill until set, at least 2 hours and up to 3 days. (as if it would last that long)

No comments: