Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Coconut and Beef Curry with Noodles

Again with the red curry! I know two nights in a row seems excessive. Truth is its because I bought a can of coconut milk and I never use the whole can and I didn't want to waste it. So I found two recipes I hadn't tried that had coconut milk.

This recipe was delicious. I actually followed the recipe - which is rare. Didn't put in bell peppers - I know shocking huh? Instead I put in mushrooms and I gotta say, that added a nice flavor to it.


Coconut and Beef Curry with Noodles
Serves 4

  • 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
  • 1 pound Beef Sirloin, cut into 2" strips
  • 1 Red onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 2 Red Bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
  • 1 can Coconut milk
  • 1 cup Packed fresh basil leaves
  • 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
  • 8 ounces Angel Hair pasta
  • **1/2 pound Mushrooms

** my little addition


1. Cook pasta according to package.

2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-heat. Season beef with salt & pepper; add half the beef to the skillet. Cook, without stirring, until browned on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to plate (meat will cook more later) and repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and remaining beef. Set beef aside, reserving skillet.

3. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes until slightly softened and browned. Add onion, bell peppers and 1/4 cup water to skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add curry paste; cook scraping bottom of skillet, 1 minute.

4. Return beef to skillet, with any accumulated juices, and add coconut milk. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in basil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.

5. Serve beef curry over pasta.

No comments: