Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Green Curry Chicken with Zucchini

I'm a big fan of curry - generally speaking - only I realized I had only tried red curry and yellow curry. So in order to say I'm a "fan" I figured I should try a few more curry types. I'm not brave enough to try something when eating out now days because of cost, but I can cook and try new things.

The green curry is quite flavorful. Its called green curry because of the profusion of fresh hot green chilies in the curry paste. I've heard it's the hottest of all curries, but I'm not convinced just yet. Next time I'll use more curry and make it a bit warmer and a bit more flavorful.

There are a few things in this recipe I had no idea what it was and/or where to get it. So I didn't use them (aka the wild lime leaves).

Green Curry Chicken with Zucchini
Serves: 4-6

  • 2 medium zucchini or 2 long purple Asian eggplants (ick on the eggplant - I used zuc's)
  • 1 1/2 cups Unsweetened Coconut milk
  • 2 to 3 T Green Curry Paste ( I only used about 1 T so not to overheat it...I'll use more next time)
  • 1/4 lb boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut in big bite sized pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups Chicken broth
  • 2 T Palm sugar or brown sugar (Yah, I have no idea what palm sugar is, so I went with brown)
  • 6 to 8 Lime leaves, torn or cut in half (Optional)
  • A handful of fresh Asian or Italian basil leaves, plus basil springs for garnish


Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 1 inch chunks; set aside. In a medium saucepan or heavy skillet, bring 3/4 cup of the coconut milk to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until it begins to thicken and becomes fragrant. Add the curry paste and cook 2 to 3 more minutes, pressing and stirring to dissolve it into the coconut milk. Add the chicken and cook 2 minutes more, tossing to coat it with the sauce.

Add the remaining 3/4 cup coconut milk, the chicken broth, zucchini, fish sauce, palm sugar, and about half the wild lime leaves, if using, and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook, stirring now and then, until the chicken is cooked and the zucchini is tender but still firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining lime leaves and the fresh basil leaves. Garnish with a few sprigs of fresh basil and serve hot or warm.

Serve with rice.

No comments: