Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Chicken Lo Mein (83 of 150)

Yay. I have a recipe to add to my 2023 favorites! This recipe was delicious. Well, the way I made it was. I did make a couple modifications. 

Making Chinese food at home is so much better than ordering out. It's less expensive, and you know what it's going into it. It's also often just faster. 

The original recipe has this being made in an Instant Pot. I don't have one of those, so I followed the stove top instructions. 

Now for the modifications. I wanted to use what I had on hand. I didn't have mushrooms or spinach. I swapped those out with water chestnuts and snow peas. I dropped those in at the last minute to just warm through. 

Other than that, I followed the rest of the recipe. Don't skimp out and NOT buy Lo Mein noodles. That makes all the difference. Oh, yah. I had to add about 2 tsp of cornstarch at the end. It was still too liquidy. I don't think you need as much chicken stock as it calls for. 

Chicken Lo Mein
Recipe from My Kitchen Escapades
Serves 4

  • 1 T vegetable oil
  • 1 pound chicken breasts, diced
  • 1 carrot, julienned
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 c chopped portabella mushrooms
  • 3 c fresh spinach
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 c chicken broth
  • 3 T soy sauce
  • 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp oyster sauce
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp sriracha
  • 8 ounces lo mein noodles

Sauté and add vegetable oil. 

Add carrot, onion, mushrooms, spinach, and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until brown. Add remaining ingredients, simmer for 10 minutes. 

Stir the noodles together, and serve immediately.

No comments: