Saturday, January 7, 2023

Slow Cooked BBQ Pork Roast (5 of 150)

Photo from Cooking Light
Tonight's dinner is brought to you by the letters P-O-R-K! I don't eat much pork and since chicken is
getting boring, I figured I'd give pork more of a try. 

I wasn't really sure what I was going to make tonight, but at the store they had pork butts and BIG pork loins on sale, buy on get one free. I couldn't really pass that up. But I also knew I didn't have room in my freezer for a pork butt (I really need to get a small freezer for downstairs). So I opted these massive pork loins. I mean they were huge. 

They worked perfectly with this recipe. And this recipe was delicious. I cut this in half and used a what the store calls a "boneless half loin" - I'm not really sure how it was half because it was bigger than the pork loins. I need to do some research on this cut of meat. 

The only change I made is I used low carb brown sugar. I tend to use that all the time when I have it in a marinade recipe of some sort. 


Slow Cooked BBQ Pork Roast
Recipe from Cooking Light
Serves 10
  • 2 T dark brown sugar
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 3/4 tsp ground red pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 (4 1/2-lb.) bone-in pork shoulder roast (Boston butt), trimmed
  • 1 T canola oil
  • 1 c finely chopped white onion
  • 1 T finely chopped garlic
  • 1/2 c unsalted chicken stock
  • 1/2 c unsalted ketchup
  • 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt

Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons spice mixture. Rub remaining spice mixture evenly over pork, pressing to adhere. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add pork to pan; cook 15 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Place browned pork in a 5- to 6-quart electric slow cooker.

Add onion and garlic to Dutch oven; sauté 3 minutes. Add stock to pan, stirring bottom to scrape up browned bits. Remove pan from heat; stir in reserved 2 tablespoons spice mixture, ketchup, and vinegar. Pour stock mixture over pork in slow cooker. Cover, and cook on low 7 1/2 to 8 hours or until tender.

Place pork on a cutting board; let stand 20 minutes. Skim fat from cooking liquid; reserve 1/4 cup liquid. Shred pork into large pieces, discarding bones and fat. Place pork in a bowl; add reserved 1/4 cup cooking liquid and salt; toss to combine.

No comments: