Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Best Ever Cabbage Roll Soup (11 of 150)

Mom used to make the best cabbage rolls. As a child I didn't like the cabbage part of it, but mom would
let me unroll it and just eat the inside. Dad always ate the extra cabbage. Team effort!

But cabbage rolls are a bit of a hassle to make. So when I see recipes for "deconstructed cabbage rolls" I gotta give it a try. I've made deconstructed cabbage rolls in a soup form and a casserole form before. Both decent recipes. 

This recipe? Not so much. The brown sugar made it way too sweet. I tried to savory-it-up by adding some Worcestershire sauce, but that didn't work and just gave it a weird sweet, W sauce flavor. 

I won't be making this one again. One star for sure. I've got a few more to try and if I really want to get my cabbage roll on, the one I made in soup form was delicious. I could just make that again.


Best Ever Cabbage Roll Soup
Recipe from My Incredible Recipes

Serves 6

2 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large yellow onion, diced finely
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium carrots, quartered and sliced
2 c chopped cabbage
4 c low-sodium beef stock
3 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
1/2 c (uncooked) white rice
1 bay leaf
3 T light brown sugar
2 T freshly chopped parsley

In a large pot, brown ground beef, onions and garlic in olive oil and sauté over medium-high heat.

Cook until the meat is no longer pink.

Add in carrots, cabbage, beef stock, tomato sauce, white rice, bay leaf, and brown sugar to the pot and add salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer for 25 minutes, or until rice is fully cooked.

Take out the bay leaf and serve with fresh parsley and cheese!

No comments: