Monday, February 14, 2022

Indian Spinach Dip (Recipe 21 of 150)

Photo from allRecipes
I couldn't find too many Indian appetizers that weren't time consuming. I wanted to find something easy and a little filling. Enter Indian Curried Spinach Dip. 

I made only a couple modifications. 
  1. I didn't use 10 oz of spinach, it's just too much spinach in a dip for me.
  2. I added about 1/4 c mayo to it. It didn't have quite the right texture. 
  3. You don't need the vegetable cube at all. I don't think it did anything to it. 
  4. I added chopped water chestnuts. It needed some crunch to me
I'd make this again if I was going to an Indian themed gathering.  


Indian Curried Spinach Dip
Recipe from AllRecipes

Serves a lot
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 cube vegetable bouillon
  • ½ cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 red onion, finely diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (such as Greek Gods®)
  • ⅓ (8 ounce) package cream cheese (such as Philadelphia®)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Pull thawed and drained spinach apart and place it in a small bowl to use later.

Mix cumin, curry powder, turmeric, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl and set spice mixture aside.

Dissolve bouillon cube in warm water in a bowl and set aside.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 3 minutes. Add spice mixture and spinach to the skillet and stir well to combine. Pour vegetable bouillon into the skillet. Reduce heat to low and simmer until most of the moisture has cooked off, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Mix yogurt and cream cheese into the spinach mixture in the skillet. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: